AS summer approaches and people start to travel, and with COVID 19 slowly getting under control, we at Airborne Animals LLC are getting more requests for help. Unfortunately, moving pets within the USA right now is pretty challenging. It’s actually easier for me to get a dog to Europe right now. And other parts of the world are totally off limits.
Here’s some points of interest:
- Neither Delta nor United are accepting pets at this time, and probably won’t be until fall. And maybe not even then.
- American is accepting pets for travel, but they do have a temperature restriction of 85F, at all points of travel. So if it’s hotter than that at any point of travel, like a transit point, the pet won’t go. Hot spots within the USA – Phoenix, Las Vegas, Palm Springs for example – are embargoed for the summer by American.
- Alaska Air has more limited routing, but the same temperature requirements. They have embargoed for the summer: Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans, Phoenix, Raleigh, Sacramento, Texas – all stations
- There is no way at all, period, of moving snub nosed breeds or large breeds around the USA. American and Alaska do not take any of the snub nosed/flat faced breeds normally, and flights for large dogs are extremely limited. Alaska Air takes up to a 34″ tall kennel, but no giant Skykennels.
- Internationally several airlines have started accepting pets: British Airways, and Lufthansa are transiting their hubs in London and Frankfurt respectively. KLM is taking pets into Amsterdam, but not transiting further right now. Swiss is taking pets into Zurish and Geneva, though their routes are much more limited than BA or KLM or Lufthansa.
Moving pets around will be challenging for the rest of 2020. If you have a small pet that can go in cabin, or can take pets with you as excess baggage on your flight, I would encourage you to look at those options. You will need to talk to the airline you are flying. These are not things we can arrange, as in cabin or excess baggage travel is arranged on the passengers ticket.
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this article and the rest of the site is very good. Carline Abie Tufts
I quite like reading an article that can make men and women think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment! Aigneis Grannie Ranson
Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Dena Stacee Britt